The largest funding event of 2020 did not happen in Silicon Valley. It happened in India.
Over $20 billion went to Reliance Jio from 11 investors in the past three months including Google, Qualcomm, Facebook, Silver Lake Partners, General Atlantic, KRR, Mubadala, ADIA, TPG, Intel Capital, and Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund.
In addition to being the largest mobile network operator in India with over 387.5 million subscribers as of 31 December 2019, Jio also operates:
- JioSaavn (Spotify)
- JioMoney (Alipay)
- JioMeet (Zoom)
- JioBrowser (Chrome)
- JioCloud (Dropbox)
Its ambition is definitely beyond just another AT&T.
Meanwhile, global seed to early-stage investment counts dropped 58% and investment amount dropped 38% YOY compared to Q2 2019.
Here are the top mobile news this week >
- Twitter biggest hack
- Apple - 2500 Chinese Apps removed
- Apple - 2020 retail to work remote
- Zoom - Zoom for Home – DTEN ME
- Reliance Jio - Another $4.5 billion from Google
- Tiktok against the Whitehouse
- Google - Launches Shoploop video shopping